Badminton captured a significant chunk of China’s television viewership during the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The Men’s Singles final featuring Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei and China’s Chen Long (featured image) was the most-watched match on state broadcaster CCTV5, logging 7.08 percent share of viewership.
Badminton dominated the most-watched list, with seven matches featuring in the top ten. The Men’s Singles semi-final between Lee Chong Wei and two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan came in third at 5.91%, followed by the Men’s Singles quarter-final between Lin Dan and India’s Kidambi Srikanth at 4.95%.
The Top-Ten List:
- Badminton: Men’s Singles final: Lee Chong Wei vs Chen Long: 7.08%
- Volleyball Women’s final: China vs Serbia: 7.03%
- Badminton: Men’s Singles semi-final: Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei: 5.91%
- Badminton: Men’s Singles quarter-final: Lin Dan vs K Srikanth: 4.95%
- Table Tennis: Women’s Team semi-final: China vs Singapore: 4.46%
- Badminton: Men’s Singles Bronze play-off: Lin Dan vs Viktor Axelsen: 4.39%
- Badminton: Women’s Singles semi-final: Li Xuerui vs Carolina Marin: 3.97%
- Badminton: Men’s Doubles semi-final: Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan vs Marcus Ellis/Chris Langridge: 3.64%
- Badminton: Men’s Doubles bronze play-off: Chai Biao/Hong Wei vs Marcus Ellis/Chris Langridge: 3.57%
- Volleyball: Women’s semi-final: China vs Netherlands: 3.56%